MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: Challenging performance demand
Posted by: Erin ONeill
Date: July 14, 2005 12:03PM

No, I'm not kidding at all. I'm talking about the my.cnf file and how you setup your MySQL server. But yes there are some hardware specs out there too.

The default my.cnf is more than likely NOT tuned to your particular hardware setup. You may need more RAM. I'm finding that 4 GB is just barely enough and I'm pushing to get 7-8GB installed.

I'm also pushing for 2 internal harddrives and a separate RAID. My IT guy knows his CPU stuff for linux and I send him hardware recommendations and he specs it out.

But I have dramatically sped up the database by tweaking the MySQL server settings and dropping all the redundant indexes and creating a couple of indexes (I read my slow_query_log to find which were the problem queries). Those very slow queries dropped out of sight with just a bit of index tweaking.

BUT most of my most dramatic improvements have all been done by tweaking the MySQL server settings (key_buffer and query_cache were the biggies). Having your key_buffer, query_cache_size, and thread buffers set incorrectly can really impact the speed of queries. But how to set up the configs for MySQL really depends on how the database is used.

Plenty of discussions on this and if you post your MySQL vars here on the forum people can give you pointers on how to tweak 'em to speed things up.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
June 02, 2005 03:16PM
June 03, 2005 07:10AM
July 13, 2005 10:10AM
July 14, 2005 10:02AM
Re: Challenging performance demand
July 14, 2005 12:03PM
July 17, 2005 03:07AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.