MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

updating DATETIME index performance problems
Posted by: Steve Thomas
Date: October 16, 2009 01:22AM

I have a table of about 120,000 rows that contain auctions data.

------

CREATE TABLE `auctions` (
`id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
`seller` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
`category` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
`title` varchar(75) NOT NULL default '',
`description` text NOT NULL,
`duration` int(3) NOT NULL default '0',
`closed` enum('0','1') NOT NULL default '0',
`starts` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
`ends` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
KEY `seller` (`seller`),
KEY `starts` (`starts`),
KEY `ends` (`ends`),
KEY `category` (`category`),
FULLTEXT KEY `title` (`title`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

------

I believe all the keys are necessary, as the table is constantly selected based on the start / ends fields, and also by seller id and category id.

There is naturally a large variation in the `ends` values as auctions have finished at various times 24/7 over a couple of years. Unless sold, generally the item will relist.

This basically is set with the following ($now is a PHP variable):

UPDATE auctions SET starts = '$now', ends = DATE_ADD(ends, INTERVAL `duration` DAY) WHERE ends < '$now' AND closed = '0'

I have tried updating this within a PHP loop row by row, as well as the multi row query as above. To my surprise, the multi row statement only provides a marginal performance improvement.

On my test machine, updating the entire table takes 70-80 seconds, which for accentuated testing purposes affects about 49,000 rows.

Now here is the problem - when this is running, all other queries become LOCKED, which I believe is the result of the index being updated. Of course, in a production environment this produces unacceptable lag.

I thought that if I ran the multi-row statement, the index would update only once and very quickly, whereas with the row by row method it would have to update on every row.

So it seems like a rock and a hard place - my SELECT is too slow without the starts/ends index (probably 20% slower), and UPDATES are too slow WITH the index (about 3-4 times slower).

What am I doing wrong here?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
updating DATETIME index performance problems
October 16, 2009 01:22AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.