MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

How MySQL Uses Indexes
Posted by: mathieu
Date: June 20, 2005 09:58AM

Hi,

I don't know if I'd rather post this topic in the newbie section or in this one, I hope you don't mind if I'm mistaken.

I'm reading the mysql documention about indexes, and I don't understand the following part of the "How MySQL Uses Indexes" chapter.

"without an index, MySQL has to start with the first record and then read through the whole table to find the relevant rows."

Does it mean that, without an index, mysql will seek the data through the whole row, even the fields that are not selected or that don't appear in the where clause ?

Cause, as I don't understand this part, I can neither understand the following one :
"If a table has 1,000 rows, this is at least 100 times faster than reading sequentially. Note that if you need to access almost all 1,000 rows, it is faster to read sequentially, because that minimizes disk seeks."

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
How MySQL Uses Indexes
June 20, 2005 09:58AM
June 20, 2005 06:33PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.