MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: Calculate hardware needs based on desired writes per second
Posted by: Jan Bromberger
Date: August 25, 2012 02:01AM

Hi Rick,

been on vacation, so I just read your reply. Thanks for being so thoughtful.

I have meanwhile changed my schema and started a refactoring. Now, I have two tables:

One holds only the current day of offers. It has all the indices, but will only have 7M rows. The replace will happen with same other_id. "other" is my main data provider, and there are a few records entered by users.

Then there is a second table, historical_offers, that contains only a price and availability history for each day and offer in the other table. After Aftab's suggestions, I stripped that table of all but one index and made (offer_id, valid_at) the primary index.

I also used smaller column types where appropriate.

Now the offers table has 600M data and 560M indices and historical_offers has 300M/day and 0 index size.

The refactoring was possible, because only price, price_with_shipping and availability changes over time, but all those indices columns like product_id or shop_id don't change.

I will have to rewrite my application to always load the offers first and then with a second query load all matching historical_offers, but that will only slow down my applications a few ms and it won't be an issue.

I could certainly partition historical_offers by valid_at, i.e. the 90-92 days (3 months), if you suggest it helps?

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.