MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: Composite index - selecting components and order
Posted by: Rick James
Date: May 09, 2013 10:46PM

> Is that to say that testing many items with an IN doesn't benefit from an index?

Older versions treated IN like a range; newer versions treat IN more like "=".

These are identical:
WHERE elementA = x AND elementB = y
WHERE elementB = y AND elementA = x

These are different:
index(elementA, elementB)
index(elementB, elementA)

Either of those indexes would work equally well for either of those WHERE clause. More discussion and more examples:
http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/index1

> I based that on your earlier comment indicating that one field in the index is better and that maybe v5.6 could handle two fields.

I _think_ that 5.6 does a better job of this than 5.5:
WHERE x IN (...) AND y IN (...)
with INDEX(x,y)
Something about leapfrogging around in the index. Seams like it is called "MRR".
5.6 might even handle
userID IN (y,y,y,y,y) AND startDay > zz
with INDEX(userID, startDay), but possibly not INDEX(startDay, userID)

> I have been in the habit of creating many indices, some with many elements to deal with situations with WHERE cluases

Do EXPLAIN, then look at the "key_len" to try to deduce how many of the fields it actually used. key_len is in bytes. INT is 4 bytes, DATE is 3, DATETIME is 8, etc. NULLable fields are 1 byte longer.

Example:
userID INT NOT NULL,
startDay DATE NOT NULL
INDEX(userID, startDay)
key_len = 4 -- using only userID
key_len = 7 -- using both. (and "Extra" might say 'MRR')
If both are NULL instead of NOT NULL, then the key_lens for those examples would be 5 and 9.
(When I see "5" I jump to the conclusion that it is an INT and it us probably wrongly NULLable.)

A test: Collect several representative SELECTs; build a table (of realistic size); add several different indexes; run EXPLAINs; see which indexes are actually used. Put the useful INDEXes into production.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.