MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: Simple query seems to be ignoring date index
Posted by: Greg Schubin
Date: November 02, 2013 09:45PM

Thanks for the detailed analysis.

I tried LOADing the CSV file to a temporay table then INSERTing into the real table ORDERed By date and a) it works b) it's not unbearably slow and I don't have to do it unless I rebuild the entire table. It also works with the daily updates I do, although the data might eventually get scattered again.

I have InnoDB turned off because I originally used the default /var/lib for the database. It had 2 gigabytes available which filled up pretty quickly. When I discovered the InnoDB files were over 1 gig I deleted them and turned it off. The parition filled up again and I dedicated a 100 gig hard drive to the database. I turned InnoDB on again but it had problems so I turned it off. Probably something in my.cnf but I don't feel like delving into that right now.

The SELECT on 'date' is the one that gets called most often. I also have a PRIMARY KEY on (Symbol,Date) but that is mainly to ensure no duplicates. I don't even think I need the sym index.

ADD: I just dropped the Date index and reversed the PK to (Date,Symbol) and the Date lookup is just as fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2013 09:55PM by Greg Schubin.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Simple query seems to be ignoring date index
November 02, 2013 09:45PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.