MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Filtering data from BLOB on server?
Posted by: E L
Date: November 17, 2013 05:05PM

Hello,

I've done some SQL work before but that was pretty basic, and I'm no expert.
I'm working on an idea that will require saving quite some data to a database.
My 'objects' are large image-type files but with many dimensions.
A typical dataset will look like a stack of 1000's of images with each 'pixel' being encoded on 16bits.

If I have a 256x256x1024 points object, it's 128MBytes!

What I will need to do later is extract and 'project' this data to be visualized. To do this I need to 'extract' a slice of the data, however it could be along any axis: i could need one 'image' which would mean gather 256x256 points at a given slice positon, but i may also need the full stack of 1024 values at a given point, or I may need to get a few 'image' slices and add them together, so there the data will need to be retrievable in different directions.

I would like to know what you think would be the most efficient way to store, and retrieve the data?

I was thinking of saving the whole 128Mb as one BLOB, and wanted to know if there is easy way to write a user defined function to do this extraction fast: if I have the full array of data in memory, it's easy to extract what I need fast in C, but I would like to avoid having to read the full BLOB to do this, and do the extraction on disk within MySQL.

Is it even possible?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Filtering data from BLOB on server?
E L
November 17, 2013 05:05PM
November 19, 2013 06:26PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.