MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: Writing at 847 MB/sec ???
Posted by: Robert Gunther
Date: April 17, 2015 08:45AM

Rick, thanks for the input.

I am restoring from a mysqldump file, just from the command line - nothing fancy.

I am running on Windows 2008 R2 server, with server version 5.6.24.

I like you suspected it must be that I was not reading the backup from the PCI memory card. I could not do that, as the database is to big to be both on the drive and restore to the drive.

SO, I killed off the one table that holds the majority of the data. I end up with a dump file that is 2.8 gigs. Then I conducted a bunch more tests, here are the results.

Backup from PCI to HD: 1 minute, 26 seconds
Restore from HD to PCI: 9 minutes, 34 seconds

Backup from PCI to PCI: 1 minute, 30 seconds (hmmm...)
Restore from PCI to PCI: 9 minutes, 7 seconds

Backup from HD to HD: 2 minutes, 18 seconds
Restore from HD to HD: 11 minutes, 17 seconds

So while there is some improvement in times vs. doing everything on the hard drive it is not much.

A restore from HD to PCI is 9 minutes, 34 seconds. From HD to HD is 11 minutes 17 seconds.

The improvement ratio seems to be inline with what I saw while working with the much larger database - faster, but not great.

I really thought the faster drive would make things fly, like all the literature I read about the cards and performance boost they saw.

Fusion-IO has a case study of answers.com, they claim all kinds of amazing improvements. For example they let a replication server lag the master. To catch up with their normal server is took 6.5 hours. To catch up with the fusion ioDrive is takes only 12.5 minutes!

That is some amazing performance improvement I was expecting to see with MySQL (they are also using MySQL).

I tried looking around for tips of troubleshooting mysql resource utilization, but no luck yet.... gotta be some setting to tweek.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
April 11, 2015 05:50AM
April 15, 2015 11:03PM
Re: Writing at 847 MB/sec ???
April 17, 2015 08:45AM
April 19, 2015 01:38PM
April 20, 2015 01:00AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.