MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Security

How do I know if mysqld started with query logging?
Posted by: Andreas Trad
Date: November 09, 2010 12:50PM

Hi,

what I want to complete prevent logging on my client's machine.

I have developed an application that uses crucial and valuable data. This application is going to be installed on a number of client's machines along with a MySQL database that contains all this crucial data. In order to protect the database's data I provide an encoded version of the database, that has been created by the use of the ENCODE function of MySQL.

The only way that my client can access the encoded information is only via the tools of my application which, by the use of DECODE function and the secret key, reads and illustrates the encoded data.

- First of all, is this type of database distribution safe? What I mean is, can I be totally sure that all the information that has been encoded by the use of the ENCODE MySQL function is safe?
- Secondly, the user can easily (through my application) find out both the encoded and decoded version of the same field. Is this information an extra weapon on his hands if he wants to find out the secret key?
- And finally, the most important I suppose, as I realized the mysql can be started with the --log[=file_name] or -l [file_name] option and all the queries are been logged. So the client can easily start the MySQL using this option, make a few minutes use of the application and then go to the log file and get the key that is been used on my queries. Is this a way to totally prevent logging in MySQL? Or, can I find out from my application (php) if logging on the running instance of MySQL is on or off before executing any query?

My client's Operating System is Windows.

Any help is more than appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Andreas

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
How do I know if mysqld started with query logging?
November 09, 2010 12:50PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.