MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Security

SELECT-access only?
Posted by: Max Cheenten
Date: February 06, 2011 03:12AM

I am about to start building a site with MySQL/PHP.
I want the database to be accessed both from outside a firewall (from any computer on the internet) but also from behind a firewall.

My idea is to have two different users that can gain access to the database through PHP (mysql_connect). One user (on the pages accessed from the outside) should only have SELECT privileges. This means that the pages I create can only be of the type that provides information FROM the database. But that's perfectly OK.

But on the inside I will have a user that (on some pages) can also UPDATE, DELETE and INSERT. I will have admin-pages that can edit data in the database here.

I am not a security expert but it sounds pretty secure to me. I understand that a hacker may be able to force SQL-injections from the outside that can SELECT data that I don't want him to see. And I will of course add mysql_real_escape_string etc to prevent that. But can he also in some way edit the database although there are no pages that have any other privileges than SELECT?

What more should I consider doing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2011 03:32AM by Max Cheenten.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
SELECT-access only?
February 06, 2011 03:12AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.