MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Security

Re: MySQL on 3306 with MySQL SSL on 3307
Posted by: Georgi Kodinov
Date: June 07, 2013 05:27AM

Note that the mysql wire protocol always starts unencrypted. It adds SSL only after finding out that both parties support it. And the server listens on a single port only.
So even if you somehow trick it to listen on two ports it will still be the same protocol.

I can imagine the reason for you to be wanting a designated port for SSL is to be able to expose it through some sort of firewall.
First of all I advise you to strongly consider other options. Exposing a database port on an unprotected network is never a good idea. Just like exposing any extra network service to the Net is never a good idea.
Maybe you can make do with an SSH tunnel or some similar network trickery.

If exposing the database server socket is your only chance though I'd suggest you look into carefully granting access to certain hosts using some of the REQUIRE options (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/grant.html). This still leaves your server port wide open to the net, but at least makes it harder for potential attackers.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: MySQL on 3306 with MySQL SSL on 3307
June 07, 2013 05:27AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.