MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Administrator

Re: Mysql Administrator error "Could not find settings"
Posted by: Colin Hume
Date: June 04, 2008 02:49PM

> Does the GUI look for my.ini 'explicit'? Is it mandatory to have?

The order in which MySQL/MySQL Administrator searches for a configuration file is first a my.ini file, if not found then a my.cnf file. The folders searched are, in order: Windows, the C:\ root folder and then the MySQL installation folder.

I think under XAMPP you should find a my.cnf file in the C:\xampp\mysql\bin folder (assuming you have XAMPP on C:). So in the first instance you could try moving the my.cnf from there to the Windows folder.

If that doesn't work you should consider running MySQL as a service using some of the information contained in the rest of this thread to ensure that the configuation file location details are correctly recorded in the Registry.

Although XAMPP defaults to running/stopping MySQL with its mysql_start.bat/mysql_shutdown.bat files, you can discard this method and install it as Service instead if you wish. It should not have any impact on the remainder of the XAMPP package such as Apache or PHP.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Mysql Administrator error "Could not find settings"
June 04, 2008 02:49PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.