MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/ODBC

MySQL ODBC Setup Help
Posted by: Micheal Young
Date: September 22, 2015 11:13AM

I apologize ahead of time if this is the wrong forum to be posting in, but it felt right to me since it does pertain to the MySQL ODBC connector. If I'm wrong, please let me know which forum to post in.

First, our setup. We have a MySQL server, which I have no admin rights to, that is set to allow clients to connect using the older authentication (secure_auth=0), and is setup on a Linux server. We have two Windows 2008 R2 servers: I'll refer to them as Server-A and Server-B.

Now for issue and help I need.
I'm trying to prepare Server-B to replace Server-A. Both servers have MySQL connector v5.1 installed. On B, I've setup the ODBC exactly as it is on A, but I keep getting the following error when testing the connection:

Connection Failed: [HY000][MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver]Connection using old (pre-4.1.1) authentication protocol refused (client option 'secure_auth' enabled)

I fully understand why I'm getting this message and what's happening. What I don't understand is why does it work just fine on Server-A and not on Server-B? I tried comparing all kinds of files, registry entries and ODBC options to determine a difference, but cannot find anything out of the ordinary.

Now then. I have installed MySQL Workbench and I can duplicate the same error, but in the advanced options of Workbench, I can check the "Use the old authentication protocol" box and all works fine. It also confirms that the MySQL server is definitely accepting older auth protocols.

I've looked for a similar option when setting up the ODBC connection, but I am unable to find one. How do I tell the ODBC driver to use older auth protocol when there is clearly no options to tell it so like there is in MySQL Workbench?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Micheal

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL ODBC Setup Help
September 22, 2015 11:13AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.