MySQL Connector/Net for EF binds TINYINT(1) incorrectly
Posted by: Eric B
Date: July 26, 2012 03:59PM

I believe I've discovered a bug in the way the MySQL Connector for .NET maps fields of type TINYINT(1) within Entity Framework.

The database I'm working with has a number of fields used to store "enumeration values" - basically an integer that represents a specific .NET enumeration value. ie/ Open = 1, Closed = 2

Since the enumerations contain a small number of possible values (2-5), the majority of these fields are declared as the MySQL datatype TINYINT(1). In other words, we want an integer with a minimal amount of storage space and a maximum of "one character".

When we use Entity Framework 4.3 to map these TINYINT(1) fields to an "int" data type, the integer value *always* comes back as "1", regardless of the underlying storage value. The integer values 2, 3, 4, etc all get converted to 1.

If I convert the entity property's type to "string", it receives a value of "True".

It appears as though the MySQL Connector for .NET is hardcoded to treat TINYINT(1) as a boolean, regardless of the data type it's eventually bound to. TINYINT(1) should only be converted to a boolean when it's bound to a "bool" property, and nothing else. It appears as though it's trying to simulate the behavior of the "BIT" field in SQL Server, which is a completely different thing (it's not an integer, while TINYINT is).

Is this a known issue? Should I file a bug report?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL Connector/Net for EF binds TINYINT(1) incorrectly
July 26, 2012 03:59PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.