Re: Run MySQL on database located on another computer/resource
Posted by: rasinc rasinc
Date: November 05, 2013 05:07PM

Thanks Gabriela

I had started doing some modification of the --datadir command and seem to be having some success.

A followup question has come up from my client.

The scenario is basically they wanted to run the program I am working on from a workstation but they wanted all associated setup information in a central location for backup purposes.

I suggested a database running on their server but they don't want the extra weight of a MySQL server instance on their system all the time. So I have been playing with on demand starting of the mysql program. That seems to work and being able to change the directory path to the database to a server location seems to be working as well.

Now they have decided that they might like to also use the program and associated data from more than one computer at the same time.

So, I'd rather not be installing software on servers if possible as I have found several of my clients don't have the proper passwords and to get IT staff to help takes too much work sometimes.

If I could just do the install from the local workstation and allow other workstations to work off the same database, that would be ideal.

My concern is concurrency problems and whether they can access the same mysql instance from a second workstation or is it ok for each workstation to access the same database with different instances of mysql simultaneously.

Is it possible to open a database location on the server from computer 1 with port 3306 (for example) and also access the database on computer 2 with it's own mysql instance on the same por?

Or should it be a different port on the second computer that is accessing the same database simultaneously with computer 1?

Or can computer 2 somehow know computer 1 has the file open and access the mysql instance on computer 1 to use the same port?

Based on your steps above, in #4 I have never seen an ib_Arch_log... file (I assume it is for a different engine, but why don't you copy those files? What do they do?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Run MySQL on database located on another computer/resource
November 05, 2013 05:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.