Re: Open method: Connection unexpectedly terminated
Posted by: Scott Lambeth
Date: September 08, 2006 03:28PM

I'm replying to an old thread, but I'll post what I did. The problem happens when either the server kills the connection due to inactivity (reaches timeout), the server is restarted, or the connection was killed by an administrator. This is standard, and should be automagically handled by .NET's built in connection pooling, but, alas, it isn't Once it fails with this error it does seem to get removed though. So I just retry the connecting until I get a good one, and this seems to clean up the pool. This is what I did to solve the problem... It may prove to fail in the future as this has not run in prod yet, but it works so far in testing.

The .Number property of the exception is 0 for this error, which makes me nervous. I wonder how many other errors are "0".

private MySqlConnection _sqlConn;  //to be use throughout the class

private void OpenDB()
{
    bool bRetry;
    int iRetryCount = 0;
    int iMaxRetry = 10;
    do
    {
        try
        {
            string sConnStr = ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings.Get("YourConnStringInAppSettings");
            _sqlConn = new MySqlConnection(sConnStr);
            _sqlConn.Open();
            bRetry = false;
        }
        catch (MySqlException mySqlEx)
        {
            switch (mySqlEx.Number)
            {
                case 0: //connection terminated (db was either restarted, or the connection timed out or was killed)
                    if (iRetryCount <= iMaxRetry)
                    {
                        bRetry = true;
                        iRetryCount++;
                        break;
                    } else {
                        throw new Exception("Error Connectiong to database:" + mySqlEx.Message);
                    }
                default: throw new Exception("Error Connecting to database:" + mySqlEx.Message);
            }
        }
    } while (bRetry && iRetryCount < iMaxRetry);
}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 04:02PM by Scott Lambeth.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.