MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/Python

Re: Best Minimum MySQL for Django 1.0
Posted by: Nick B
Date: November 28, 2008 09:49AM

1) I don't know if this information is available. I would guess that mysql3 isn't that common these days, mysql4 and mysql5 are probably on par. Complete guess this, but people tend to avoid upgrading if things are working as required :)

Perhaps MySQL have a download hits per version hidden away somewhere ;)

2) Regarding minimum versions for use with Django, I don't really see why a new proposal on this is worthwhile. What Django currently says about this seems fine to me.

"Django expects the database to support transactions, referential integrity, and Unicode support (UTF-8 encoding). Fortunately, MySQL has all these features as available as far back as 3.23. While it may be possible to use 3.23 or 4.0, you’ll probably have less trouble if you use 4.1 or 5.0."

I completely agree with that.

I also think it's upto the end user if they wish to run really old versions of MySQL that don't support UTF-8 - if they don't need those features they can find a way to work around them. Or it may just be that the end user has no say in database architecture (consider restrictions enforced by infrastructure / sys-admins etc).

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Best Minimum MySQL for Django 1.0
November 28, 2008 09:49AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.