MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/Python

mysql-python install problems
Posted by: Ben Goodrich
Date: June 10, 2009 03:35PM

So I've been having a ton of trouble actually getting the mysql-python connector to install. I've got mysql 5.1.35 installed on a Fedora 9 64 bit machine. I installed it from the .tar.gz and it seems to be running perfectly. (The actual tar file was named mysql-5.1.35-linux-i686-glibc23.tar.gz) Now I'm looking to install the python connector. So I have the MySQL-python-1.2.2 file unpacked on my desktop, and when I run the command: python setup.py build I get the following error:

---------------------------------------------------------------
running build
running build_py
copying MySQLdb/release.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.5/MySQLdb
running build_ext
building '_mysql' extension
gcc -pthread -shared build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.5/_mysql.o -L/usr/local/mysql/lib -L/usr/lib64 -lmysqlclient -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm -lmygcc -lpython2.5 -o build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.5/_mysql.so
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.so when searching for -lmysqlclient
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a when searching for -lmysqlclient
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have searched the internet for quite a while now looking for a solution. I've seen a couple solutions that mention it might be one of two things. Either I don't have the mysql-devel package installed or that the connector is trying to install a 64 bit version and I've only got a 32 bit mysql installation.

If it's the first possibility, I can't figure out how to install the mysql-devel package from a .tar.gz. If it's the second, I intentionally installed the 32 bit mysql even though I've got a 64 bit machine as I need to write instructions that on how to do this regardless of whether it's a 32bit or 64bit machine.

As a note: The machine I'm installing on does not have internet access, so I can't use Yum for anything.

Anyone know how to make this work? I've been stuck for about 2 days now. Thanks a ton for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
mysql-python install problems
June 10, 2009 03:35PM
September 02, 2009 07:29PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.