MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  PHP

Searching with accented words
Posted by: Carlos Rene Ponce Novelo
Date: April 11, 2009 09:49PM

Hi, before of anything i send all you my best regards and apologize for my english as long as i'm still learning it!!...

I have this issue and i don´t know what's happening. My database consist in one table of books with the title and the author of the book, both fields are available for search. I access the database through a web interface developed with php. The books' titles are mostly in spanish language. All my database, all my tables and all my varchar, char and so on columns are utf-8 as character set and utf-general-ci as collation. When a book's title contains an accented word, for instance, "Psicología" (spanish for Psychology), in the database is stored a special character for the "í" word, what i think, it`s correct for the character set and collation. When a retrieve this field and show in my webpage, everything it's fine, it shift the special character to the original and show "Psicología". Everything's as i expected that my webpage behaves. When the problems begins?, well, my webpage provides a search functionality, and when i type in the search box "Psicologia" it doesn`t find the bool with the title "Psicología". In other words, if i accented a vowel, i cannot find the book with if i try the search with the no-accented word. I believe, that using utf8 i avoid this problem because, the collation manages this issue. Am i wrong?. Should i use another collation or character set to address this problem...?

Thanks in advance... Regards...

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Searching with accented words
April 11, 2009 09:49PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.