MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  PHP

Restoring a Backup from mysqldump
Posted by: Henning Bergmann
Date: October 10, 2014 05:44AM

Hi Community (to which I am new),

I'm going nuts. For hours now I am trying to find the right code for restoring a backupfile, that I got through mysqqldump. Here ist what I am trying to do:

I let users create a backupfile of their database through a web-interface:

With:

system(sprintf(
'mysqldump --opt --hex-blob --complete-insert --extended-insert --quick --create-options -h%s -u%s -p"%s" %s | gzip > %s',
$dbhost,
$dbuser,
$dbpass,
$dbname,
"path_and_filename.sql.gz");

I am successfully creating the files. If I manually download the files and import them via phpmyadmin to the beforehand emptied database, I get the wanted result, everthing works fine so far.

But I want to restore the data through a php-Program, so that the users can restore their data themselves.
I already tried:

system(sprintf('gunzip < %s | mysql -u%s -p%s -h%s %s',
"path_and_filename.sql.gz",
$dbuser,
$dbpass,
$dbhost,
$dbname
));

Didn't work: the return_value of the php-command system was '1'. Then I tried to unzip the file first and then import the uncompressed data into the database:

system('gunzip path_and_filename.sql.gz > path_and_filename.sql'); // which was successful

But neither

system(sprintf('mysql -u%s -p%s -h%s %s < %s',
$dbuser,
$dbpass,
$dbhost,
$dbname
));

nor

system(sprintf('mysqlimport -u%s -p%s -h%s %s %s',
$dbuser,
$dbpass,
$dbhost,
$dbname
));

seem to do the trick for me. Both result in '1' as return_value for the system-command.

Am I on the totally wrong path here? Any hints or tips or tricks on how to succeed or what the problem might be?

The system is running on a 1&1-Virtual-Server (actually just a Pro-Webspace with Shell-Access, etc...) The databases are stored on remote hosts. But as I mentioned backingup with mysqldump, downloading, importing via phpmyadmin works totally fine. Is it possible that I can't do fileimports through the shell because of restrictions by 1&1?

Thanks in advance

hbergman

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Restoring a Backup from mysqldump
October 10, 2014 05:44AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.