Brian Gannon wrote:
> I'd currently using MySQL 4.0.21 (with Apache
> 2.0.52, and PHP 4.0.3). Can I just install the
> latest version to upgrade, or do I need to do
> install ones in between. And which of the Apache
> and PHP versions is it compatible with? I'm
> running on Mac, OS 10.4.4.

Brian,

I can't comment on Mac OS specifics but in general the problem is not to find a "compatible" combination of PHP, MySQL and Apache. The challenge is the programming interface. Relax, I don't see any real problems in your case.

Apache can run PHP as a so called CGI program. Apache supports CGI programs since ages and will continue to do that for ages. Apache can also run PHP as an "Apache module". If you get in trouble with PHP running as an Apache module (which should not happen), you can still go for the CGI way. All in all: consider Apache, PHP and MySQL as always compatible...

PHP can use ext/mysql, ext/mysqli, PDO or something similar to access MySQL. If you plan to upgrade from PHP 4/MySQL 4 to PHP 5/MySQL 5 and your scripts are using the ext/mysql extension of PHP, it will work. BUT ext/mysql cannot use all features of MySQL 5. Only ext/mysqli can do that. Therefore you should convert your scripts to ext/mysqli as soon as possible. Otherwise you won't be able to use all MySQL 5 features...

Updating PHP, MySQL and Apache is easy going. In the worst case you have to manually edit your PHP and Apache config files and that's it. For the MySQL upgrade check the upgrade notes in the manual!

Ulf

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
January 13, 2006 01:51PM
January 13, 2006 01:53PM
Re: UPgrading from 4.0.21
January 13, 2006 03:26PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.