> main host so I would not be able to recompile it's
> mysql server to fix this problem. I have resorted
> to using the following sql, but it is slow:
>
> SELECT index_id, definition
> FROM dict_definitions
> WHERE definition LIKE '%$search_str%'
> GROUP BY index_id

No wonder it's slow. The database can't use a B-tree index for a query with LIKE [some_pattern]string . MySQL has some optimizations even for this type of queries, but in the end it is a query that can't be efficiently evaluated on a B-tree, especially if you do a search with [some_pattern]string[some_pattern].

If it would be LIKE [some_pattern]string (XABC LIKE %ABC), you could add a new column that holds the reversed string and do LIKE reversed_string[some_pattern] (CBAX LIKE CBA%), but that does not work in your case, because you have patterns before and after the string you're looking for.

BUT: why recompile?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/fulltext-fine-tuning.html:
"To override the default stopword list, set the ft_stopword_file system variable. (See Section 5.2.2, “Server System Variables”.) The variable value should be the pathname of the file containing the stopword list, or the empty string to disable stopword filtering. After changing the value of this variable or the contents of the stopword file, restart the server and rebuild your FULLTEXT indexes."
(available as of MySQL 4.0.10)

Ulf

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
January 31, 2006 10:47PM
Re: Searching a dictionary database
February 01, 2006 05:24AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.