MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft SQL Server

Re: MySQL Error Number 2003, Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061) RESOLVED
Posted by: craig wynn
Date: September 11, 2009 01:45PM

I had this error after running the installer.
Forget using the installer, save yourself the grief and lost days.
Simply install manually, get the zipped version.
From a command prompt window run
>sc delete mysql
mysql is the default service name. If you used a different service name on a previous install then you substitute that name for mysql in the example above.
Use regedit to remove whats left in the registry after uninstalling from "Removing Programs" in the Control Panel
There might me some log entries in the registry when you run regedit that you can ignore.
After you've done this I advise you to restart windows xp
Next unzip the mysql zip file you chose to download and dump it into
C:\program directory\mysql
You can choose another location but it might have adverse effects I'm not aware of at this point.
Right click on My Computer in your Start Window
Select Advanced and on the next window Environmental variables
Select "Path"
Then edit the full path to the "bin" folder where you unziped the version of MySQL that you picked to download (remember to use "\" where needed and ";" to seperate one path from another
OH make sure to add one of the versions of my(small) or my(large) et cetera that is found in the location of your /mysql/mysql(unziped version #)
Copy the one you want to use to your C:\WINDOWS folder and rename it to "my"
Its the my.ini file mysql will be looking for when you create an instance of mysql in memory

From a command prompt window execute

>mysqld --console

I then got a request from Windows Firewall to allow this to run
Should this all work for you as it did for me then to shut down call up a 2nd command prompt window and execute
mysql will initialize some table/files that won't happen the next time you execute mysqld

From a 2nd command prompt window execute

>mysqladmin -u root shutdown

To make this load up when you boot windows

>mysqld --install

The default service name will be "mysql"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2009 02:49PM by craig wynn.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.