MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft SQL Server

Data Types optimization prior to migrate from MS SQL
Posted by: Francesco Faleschini
Date: November 03, 2009 10:47AM

I am planning to support MySQL for my application.

From the tests i made with the Migration Wizard it looks like that it takes some patience for manually rewieving the scripts for procedures, functions and views. But in my case It seems quite doable, I have "just" 50 procedures and 10 views, I tried to reviewing some of them and I could import them succesully.

Anyway my main concern is about datatypes.

Since I would like to maintain MS SQL and ADD MySQL I would like tomae the 2 "base DB" as similar as possible. so for example I don't want to have TEXT datatype in MS SQL and varchar(20000) in MySQL.

So before migration I should probably modify my db so tha datatypes will match as much as possible.

Anyway MS SQL has 3 "new" datatypes: varchar(max), nvarchar(max) and varbinary(max). how to handle those? I basicaly use varchar(max) and nvarchar(max) for long desciptions (mainly rtf) and varbinary(max) for images.

Moerover in version 6.0 the support for more datatypes will be there?

is there a guide to help me in perofmring this migration with high detail on datatype choice?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Data Types optimization prior to migrate from MS SQL
November 03, 2009 10:47AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.