MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft SQL Server

Using Visual Studio with MySQL
Posted by: GIDEON ISAAC
Date: January 18, 2010 09:16AM

I have a asp.net web site that I have gotten to work with a simple sql server database on my local PC, using Visual Web Developer Express (a free part of Visual Studio).

But when it becomes live, this application has to work with a website on a shared web host that uses a Unix computer with MYSQL on it.

This Unix computer does run ASP.net web pages.

So this leads to various questions:
Normally in an asp.net page, if you want to work with a database, you drag a "sqldatasource" control onto your page from the toolbox provided in Visual Studio (or Visual Web Developer Express, which is what I'm using.)
The "sqlDataSource" is intended mainly for sql server, but you could drag instead a "odbcDataSource" or some other types.
So the question is: what type of datasource control do I drag to my page, and what kind of connection string would I give it?

The second question is this. I'm searching some big TEXT fields in SQL Server. Not knowing all that much about searching them, I use the T-SQL "LIKE" operator to do a search. It works, but I don't think MYSQL has such an operator. I think MYSQL uses "MATCH AGAINST" instead. So does this mean that I should, after I get a connection working, change my sql statements?

One update: I see that this site has webpages:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/connector-net.html
That describe how to put a connector onto the local PC that will let Visual Studio work with MySQL.
I installed everything, but it does not work. I do an 'Add Connection" and change the Data Source to "other", hoping I'll see ".net framework data provider for MYSQL", but that doesn't happen.

UPDATE!!!!
I found that I can make a connection to MYSQL using Visual Studio 2005, but that Microsoft's free product (Visual Web Developer 2008) cannot make that connection.
But now that I have the connection, I want to drag a "sqldatasource" control onto my web page. This datasource control does not work with MySQL, so I looked for other types of datasource controls, and one of them might work - I don't know, its called an "object data source" control.
Any info on this is appreciated.
-- -Gideon

Thanks,
Gideon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 11:20AM by GIDEON ISAAC.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Using Visual Studio with MySQL
January 18, 2010 09:16AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.