MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Informix

Re: Group by problems
Posted by: Robert Singleton
Date: December 15, 2008 10:33PM

"Why is informix saying that codc needs to be in the group by statement, then, if I insert this column I get that nrprezi must be also in group by and so on. I just need a grouping by codfisc, because I need just one sum(taxa) for every distinct codfisc. Please help, 'cause I'm novice."

I am not sure about INFORMIX, but your SQL statement makes use of a * for selecting fields. Perhaps INFORMIX (unlike MySQL) works the same way Oracle does wherein you are required to include all fields in your GROUP BY clause that are not returned using GROUP BY functions.

Example:

SELECT s.id,s.first_name,s.last_name,AVG(t.score) as score FROM students s LEFT JOIN tests t on s.id=t.student_id GROUP BY s.id,s.first_name,s.last_name ORDER BY s.id;

In Oracle (as of v.8) you were required to include first_name and last_name in the GROUP BY clause even though you are grouping by the student's ID.

So far my experiences with MySQL suggest that MySQL does not force you to do this.

Hope this helps!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
December 13, 2005 04:38AM
Re: Group by problems
December 15, 2008 10:33PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.