MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft Access

Access Error 3197 When Attempting .Update
Posted by: Jonathan Shaltz
Date: September 16, 2005 09:41AM

Good morning, all. My apologies if this question has already been asked. I didn't see a way to search the forum, though I'm sure it must be here somewhere.
I'm using an Access front end and MySQL back end. Very original, I know ;). I moved almost all of my queries to SQL either long ago or during the migration, but there are a few places where I'm still using .Edit ... .Update. I use this format where I have quite a few fields and it is easier to use something like this:

If IsNull(Control) = False Then Record!Field = Control

then it is to use these to create a SQL query:

If IsNull(Control) = False Then Query = Query & ", Field"
If IsNull(Control) = False Then Query = Query & ", """ & Control & """"

Anyway, when Access tries to run .Update on a recordset which came from MySQL, I get error 3197: "The MS Jet engine stopped 'cause another user is attempting to change the data." Any ideas? Even better, any suggestions for a graceful way to simplify the code and use straight SQL? I also use "UPDATE ... SET" syntax, it's a little cleaner for these kinds of operations.
Thank you to the MySQL team for making the best database out there, and thank you to anyone who tries to help us MySQL newbies along!

FE: Access/DAO 2K & 2K3 on Win 2K & XP
BE: MySQL 4.1.12 on Win 2K Server server

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Access Error 3197 When Attempting .Update
September 16, 2005 09:41AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.