MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft Access

Performances comparison
Posted by: claudio giorgi
Date: November 03, 2004 10:14AM

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade from an Access 2000 database to MySQL. It is my first experience with MySQL (4.1.7)

The application works under Win2000 (1Mb RAM) and loads continuously data as a stand-alone procedure. It uses ODBC. Simply changing the DSN configuration, the software runs flawlessly.
In the future, other users will read (only read) data through the network, but now I'm concerned mainly into data feeding. I know that data retrieving is slow and this is the reason for trying MySQL.

I set up a benchmark like this:
- empty the database
- feed some realistic data (more or less 6000 INSERT commands)
- compare the time

Access completed the benchmark in 58 s, MySQL in 285 s, almost five time MORE. It does not seem a good result...
Please note that the time under Access is more or less the same with a database already filled up with 200,000 records. I did not test this condition with MySQL .

Could anyone give me suggestions ?
May be that retrieving data from remote users will compensate the poor performance of data inserting ?
Can the size of the database affect the performances ?

Thank you all
Claudio Giorgi

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Performances comparison
November 03, 2004 10:14AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.