MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

mysql 4.1.x + PHP + phpBB + unicode
Posted by: lau.greg
Date: February 27, 2005 08:36AM

I hope someone can help me... the problem is really hair-raising for me as a newbie =)

I have been using phpbb since 2 years back and at that time it was 2.0.4 and the mysql version was 4.0.x. I didn't set anything in particular with respect to encoding and everyone could post double-byte characters very well (both trad chinese and japanese in particular, which I suspect most probably was in BIG-5 encoding and may or may not be Shift-JIS).

After a recent HDD crash I had to reinstall everything and opted for the new 4.1 version of mysql, but now there is 'proper support' for unicode and hence many settings.

I did set using my.ini the default encoding to be UTF-8, and also the tables I use are already in UTF-8 (utf8_general_ci) encoding. However:

1) when I post chinese through iso-western (english interface of phpbb), and review it through phpmyadmin, the post's characters are in the form &#12345, which function-wise is hanging in there because IE and Firefox displays correctly.

2) when I post chinese through BIG-5 (chinese interface of phpbb), the chinese text just disappears into thin air (without any error messages), so I get a totally blank entry in the database.

So...
How do I tell mysql to save whatever that comes along in the form UTF-8 compatible encoding, or am I going the wrong way? Thank so much in advance......

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
mysql 4.1.x + PHP + phpBB + unicode
February 27, 2005 08:36AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.