MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

MySQL complex query help for a Newbie
Posted by: Neil Jensen
Date: April 13, 2009 10:10PM

This is the code for my action="blah.php" page following the submit of my html page form. My form contained a call to an ajax/javascript drop down box which pulled information from my category table and subcategory table. That script used the cat_id to draw up the first category name drop down box, and then used the matching cat_id field from the subcategory table to draw up the subcategory name field.

I have tried multiple insert and update commands to try and get the sub_id from the subcategory table to be inserted into my item_cat_associations table.

This is my latest attempt at getting to that sub_id. I have used a select and fetch scheme which does output the correct sub_id now, but I still can't get this script to put that sub_id into my item_cat_associations table.

Help...please.

$connect = mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbusername, $dbpassword);
//Select the correct database.
$db = mysql_select_db($dbname,$connect) or die ("Could not select database" . mysql_error());
$result=mysql_query("SELECT subcategory.sub_id FROM subcategory WHERE subcategory.subcategory=('$HTTP_POST_VARS[subcat]')");
while($myrow=mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
{ $sub_id=$myrow["sub_id"];
echo "\$sub_id is $sub_id";
echo "<br />";
}

$sub_id=$_GET['sub_id'];

$result = mysql_query("INSERT INTO stuff (item_name, dtime, item_url, thumb_url, item_desc)VALUES ('$_POST[item_name]',NOW(),'$_POST[item_url]','$_POST[thumb_url]','$_POST[item_desc]')",$connect);

$result = mysql_query("INSERT INTO item_cat_associations (item_id) SELECT stuff.item_id FROM stuff WHERE stuff.item_id = LAST_INSERT_ID()",$connect);
$result = mysql_query("UPDATE item_cat_associations SET cat_id='$HTTP_POST_VARS[cat]' WHERE id=LAST_INSERT_ID()", $connect);
$result = mysql_query("UPDATE item_cat_associations SET sub_id = '$HTTP_POST_VARS[sub_id]' WHERE id=LAST_INSERT_ID()",$connect);

while (list ($key,$val) = each ($_POST)) {

echo "\$$key = $val";

echo "<br>";

}

mysql_close($connect)
?>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySQL complex query help for a Newbie
April 13, 2009 10:10PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.