MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Select inactive unique records
Posted by: Anton Khodakivskiy
Date: June 27, 2010 11:44AM

Hi,

I'm having a trouble with a query that will select the list of inactive records that are unique by one of the columns.
Consider the table with 3 columns:

CREATE TABLE  `test`.`names` (
`id` INT( 11 ) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY ,
`name` VARCHAR( 32 ) NOT NULL ,
`date` DATE NOT NULL
);

Dataset:

INSERT INTO `test`.`names` (`id`, `name`, `date`) VALUES (NULL, 'Jon', '2010-06-01');
INSERT INTO `test`.`names` (`id`, `name`, `date`) VALUES (NULL, 'Jon', '2010-06-10');
INSERT INTO `test`.`names` (`id`, `name`, `date`) VALUES (NULL, 'Jon', '2010-06-20');
INSERT INTO `test`.`names` (`id`, `name`, `date`) VALUES (NULL, 'Jon', '2010-06-30');

INSERT INTO `test`.`names` (`id`, `name`, `date`) VALUES (NULL, 'Jim', '2010-05-20');
INSERT INTO `test`.`names` (`id`, `name`, `date`) VALUES (NULL, 'Jim', '2010-05-30');
INSERT INTO `test`.`names` (`id`, `name`, `date`) VALUES (NULL, 'Jim', '2010-06-01');
INSERT INTO `test`.`names` (`id`, `name`, `date`) VALUES (NULL, 'Jim', '2010-06-10');

columns name and time are not necessarily unique.

the name A is considered inactive, if all the corresponding records with col *name* equal to A have their date older than some given date B. Ex.
if B = 2010-06-20, then Jim will be inactive, but Jon active.
if B = 2010-05-01, then Jim and Jon will be active.
if B = 2010-07-01, then both Jim and Jon will be inactive.

Now I need to get the list of active and inactive names from this table.

For active names it is pretty simple:
SELECT name FROM names WHERE date > *some_date* GROUP BY name

But I can not come with an elegant query for the inactive names. I already tried to nest two queries:
SELECT name FROM names 
WHERE name NOT IN (SELECT name FROM names_log WHERE date > *some_date* GROUP BY name)
GROUP BY name

But this query runs extremely slow - I believe because of the nested looping or something like this.

Any ideas how to make it working?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 12:29PM by Anton Khodakivskiy.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Select inactive unique records
June 27, 2010 11:44AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.