MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

SELECT FROM WHERE problem with unmatched values
Posted by: Matthew Baker
Date: June 28, 2010 04:38PM

Hi,

I have the followig SQL Query:

SELECT agd.fault_log.log_date, agd.parts.p_name, agd.part_categories.pc_prefix, agd.fault_log_actions.action_name
FROM agd.fault_log_actions, agd.fault_log, agd.parts, agd.part_categories
WHERE agd.parts.p_category=agd.part_categories.pc_id AND agd.fault_log.part_id=agd.parts.p_id AND agd.fault_log.action=agd.fault_log_actions.action_id;

It all works well apart from any rows in the agd.fault_log table with a value in the action column that doesn't exist in agd.fault_log_actions.action_id are not displayed.

I know it's down to this part of the query 'agd.fault_log.action=agd.fault_log_actions.action_id', but I dont know any other way to join the tables.

LEFT JOIN seems like it might do the trick, but i'm not sure how to implement it without losing the links to other tables.

Below are the tables relationships. The pinky red nodes indicate data that I want the query to output

Thanks

Matt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 04:43PM by Matthew Baker.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.