MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Unable to see database after upgrade from 8.0.21 to 8.0.31
Posted by: Perry Gershon
Date: December 08, 2022 09:47AM

I am running MySQL on an iMac with OS 13.0, I have very limited knowledge of MySQL and use exclusively for an email database called MailSteward. Because the size of my files are very large (over a decade of email archive) I have it contained on an external hard drive mounted as its own volume. I am no longer able to access the database at all after upgrading yesterday, although I had not successfully accessed since 2020, which is what led me to upgrade. Here is the background and the issue:

When I installed MySQL, I was running OS 10.15. I installed the data files on an external volume/partition (/Volumes/mySQLPartition/data/data). When I wanted to activate MySQL, I could not do it through the control panel preference MySQL tab but needed to do it through the command line with (sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --datadir=/Volumes/mySQLPartition/data/data --user=mysql). This process worked fine for a bit, I believe, about the same time I upgraded to OS 11, I lost the ability to start the MySQL and certainly I never got it to work with OS13. I believe the problem was that the datafile was on the remote volume. On the preferences tab, I had data file set to "/Volumes/mySQLPartition/data/data" instead of "/usr/local/mysql/data".

When I upgraded yesterday to MySQL 8.0.31, the MySQL server starts on the control panel page perfectly, but I cannot access the data on the external volume. And when I change the data specification on the preference page, MySQL will no longer activate, When I try to use my MailStewardPro app, it gives me an error that it is unable to connect to root@user using password YES. I believe the issue is that MacSteward pro is looking to connect to the wrong data file.

My question is how can I get MySQL started on my iMAC using the data in /Volumes/mySQLPartition/data/data (my database created with 8.0.21)? There must be something I can do, hopefully relatively simple. And sorry for the longwinded explanation.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Unable to see database after upgrade from 8.0.21 to 8.0.31
December 08, 2022 09:47AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.