MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Full-Text Search

Full-text search with many languages
Posted by: floridankameli
Date: December 12, 2006 04:16AM

Hi

I have text content written in various languages. Language of text is known before saving it to table. I would like to give as good search results as possible but then I have problems with collations. Currently I have following languages: english, german and swedish.

If I use "utf8_general_ci" search results are good for english and with "utf8_unicode_ci" I get good results for german. For swedish I need to use "utf8_swedish_ci" for best results. I assume that "utf8_swedish_ci" would give now the best overall results but if I choose now one collation it might not be so good in future, because new languages might appear.

My current idea is to save text from each language to it's own table (with best collation for that language) and then use "union" to combine the results. However using "union" feels quite awkward compared to making the search from one table. I'm not totally sure, but also the performance seems to be worse when searching from multiple tables instead of one.

Any ideas how full-text search for many languages could be made smart?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Full-text search with many languages
December 12, 2006 04:16AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.