MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Shell

inability to configure instance or adopt existing async replication
Posted by: Ivan Cauchi
Date: August 06, 2023 10:36PM

I have 3 machines, let's call them Primary, Secondary 1 and Secondary 2. The Primary and Secondary 1 have an existing asynchronous replication that was set up manually that is already in production. Initially I was going to create a new replication from Primary to Secondary 2 using mysqlsh and InnoDB ReplicaSet, and leave the existing replication from Primary to Secondary 1 as is.

After installing mysql-shell and mysql-router to Primary and Secondary 2 from the MySQL repository, on the Primary I established a connection and attempted to configure the instance using the template:

dba.configureReplicaSetInstance('root@rs-1:3306', {clusterAdmin: "'rsadmin'@'rs-1%'"});

I got the below error message:

<<
Dba.configureReplicaSetInstance: This function is not available through a session to an instance belonging to an unmanaged asynchronous replication topology (RuntimeError)
>>

I thought, fair enough, I do have an existing replication set up, and therefore a managed and unmanaged replication topology cannot coexist. So logically, I thought I needed to bit the bullet and adopt the existing topology first.

So, I installed mysql-shell and mysql-router as well on Secondary 1 as well. I went back to Primary and connected to the instance using mysqlsh and issued the command from the template:

<<
A new replicaset with the topology visible from '<primary>:3306' will be created.

* Scanning replication topology...
** Scanning state of instance <primary>:3306

* Discovering async replication topology starting with db5:3306
Discovered topology:
- <primary>:3306: uuid=<some_UUID_number> read_only=no

* Checking configuration of discovered instances...

This instance reports its own address as <primary>:3306
<primary>:3306: Instance configuration is suitable.

* Checking discovered replication topology...
Dba.createReplicaSet: Target server is not part of an async replication topology (MYSQLSH 51151)
>>

I guess my observation is that Primary is either part of an async replication topology, or it isn't! I'm at a loss of what to do next. I'd be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
inability to configure instance or adopt existing async replication
August 06, 2023 10:36PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.