MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

MySQL 8 development hardware - innoDB, win, complex queries
Posted by: James Thompson
Date: March 01, 2022 08:17PM

Any advice for development hardware for MySQL 8, innoDB, windows? I do complex queries, write a lot of html files, do developer updates, but not OLTP. Just for development.

It's time to replace my laptop and I'd sure appreciate insight.

I'd like to stick with Windows because I know it and will use the same computer for office-type tasks. I like using a laptop because I grew weary of replacing battery packs for backup power. I've been happy with Dell Precision laptops, but which processor, how much RAM, SSD...?

I often wait a long time for processes to complete. More speed is desired. My existing laptop is an i7, 3 Ghz, 4 cores, 16GB RAM.

A guy at a comptuer company I won't name (in case that's considered spam) who knows nothing about MySQL, suggested:
Intel Xeon Processor W-11855M (6 Core, 18MB Cache, 3.20GHz to 4.90GHz)
64 GB, 4 x 16 GB, DDR4, 3200MHz, Non-ECC, SODIMM
M.2 2280 1 TB, Gen 4 PCIe x4 NVMe, Solid State Drive

Does that sound right? My database is 1.8G and will probably not grow much beyond 2G in the next couple years. Thanks if you read this far.

James

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
MySQL 8 development hardware - innoDB, win, complex queries
March 01, 2022 08:17PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.