MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/ODBC

Proper setup of MySQL ODBC DSN
Posted by: John Allred
Date: April 24, 2019 06:21PM

I have a web site I created years ago using Coldfusion and Access as my DSN. It's worked fine for years. But my ISP recently demanded I drop the use of Access and move to MySQL (among other choices). I got my Access database converted to MySQL, and everything on the ISP server is working fine. I'm trying to configure my localhost version by replacing the Access DSN with a MySQL version. Terminology around data sources is confusing in this new environment. I got the MySQL Connector installed in Windows ODBC, so I can select a MySQL datasource there. I created a database in MySQL Workbench from scratch, but I'm confused about the terms it uses.

The MySQL Connector/ODBC Source Configuration has a "Database" field with five items in the dropdown: Information Schema, mysql, new_schema, performance_schema, and test. Only new_schema and test appear in the Schemas section under Navigator. These are two that I created while trying to figure it out.

Under Model Overview => Physical Schemas, I have listed what I thought was my database name, AptMaps. Under that name is "MySQL Schema." I have no idea what those terms are referring to, as neither term appears anywhere else in either the Workbench or the Windows ODBC configurator..

The ODBC DSN I created works. But I don't have a clue what it's connected to. My Coldfusion template (developed earlier using Access DSN) throws an error at the end of my WHERE clause. I cant tell whether its because the fields are missing or what. The same version of MySQL exists on both the ISP server and my local server, so it's not a syntax issue.

I know this is just a messy question, but I don't know where to go to sort out this terminology. Documentation nowadays is of the drive-by type. Over here is xyz. Over there is abc. There's no what or why.

Could someone engage me in a dialog to step through the successful creation of my DSN for this application?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Proper setup of MySQL ODBC DSN
April 24, 2019 06:21PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.