MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Perl

converting latin1_swedish_ci "text" column data to utf8_bin
Posted by: 7 reeds
Date: July 24, 2012 04:28PM

Hi,

I have seen several discussions on-line about converting existing databases and tables from latin1_* to utf8 using ALTER TABLE commands. I can't do that.

The MySQL instance I have inherited has the default latin1_swedish_ci encoding. All the existing databases and tables are in that encoding.

I am in the process of making major modifications to some of the existing apps and want to move to utf8 encoding. I have created the tables with the new encoding and I want to copy the old data from the old latin1 tables into the new tables. i will then setup an AFTER TRIGGER on the old tables to push any new items that come in to the new tables.

The question is how do I do the conversion "on the fly"? I know about the CONVERT() and CAST() functions.

I am mainly having issues with an old "TEXT" column that is latin1_swedish_ci. I am doing the following:

SELECT * FROM the old table

FOREACH row
    INSERT INTO new table ...
    VALUES (..., CONVERT(old_text_col USING utf8), ...)
END FOR

but that column in the new table always reports the column contents as a BLOB.

I do not see a charset option in DBI. What am I missing?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
converting latin1_swedish_ci "text" column data to utf8_bin
July 24, 2012 04:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.