MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  PHP

Need help importing text file into MySQL through phpMyAdmin
Posted by: Raph Bok
Date: April 30, 2012 03:53PM

Hi, this question is a very simple question, but difficult to explain. It is regarding importing forum NAMES into categories on a phpBB web forum using MySQL/phpMyAdmin, and I started a thread on their website asking for help, but the only reply I have received thus far is from a junior support member who suggests that my request is not possible code. I am suspicious of this, and therefore, am posting my question here.

I have a general forum format (example below) which has been setup properly in phpBB. However, I am attempting to auto-create lots of forums within a category, but manually creating a forum one-by-one through the "Administrator Control Panel" is not practical. I also need the "parent forum permissions" copied for each in the "phpbb_forums" table. Example: http://oi45.tinypic.com/2ryot9v.jpg

Again, I am NOT attempting to import entire FORUMS. I am only attempting to import forum NAMES, that's all - i.e., their are no topics within these forum names, and no users. The names just represent stock ticker symbols. Basically my users want me to give them the option of posting topics to forums pertaining to specific stock symbols rather than posting messages about thousands of different stocks all in the same place. The text files I am trying to import into phpMyAdmin contain many ticker symbols (per file), and the corresponding names of these companies. These two rows are separated by tabs.

For example, I have a category called, "American Stocks", and instead of creating forum names within this category manually I am looking for a shortcut that will just copy the forum names from a text file, excel file, or cut/paste operation.

The "parent forum" I am attempting to import the stock tickers into has the following values in phpMyAdmin:

======================
forum_id 16
parent_id 15
left_id 13
right_id 52
forum_parents [BLOB - 91 B]
forum_name American Stocks
forum_desc [BLOB - 0 B]
forum_desc_bitfield
forum_desc_options 7
forum_desc_uid
forum_link
forum_password
forum_style 0
forum_image
forum_rules [BLOB - 0 B]
forum_rules_link
forum_rules_bitfield
forum_rules_options 7
forum_rules_uid
forum_topics_per_page 0
forum_type 1
forum_status 0
forum_posts 0
forum_topics 0
forum_topics_real 0
forum_last_post_id 0
forum_last_poster_id 0
forum_last_post_subject
forum_last_post_time 0
forum_last_poster_name
forum_last_poster_colour
forum_flags 32
forum_options 0
display_subforum_list 0
display_on_index 0
enable_indexing 1
enable_icons 0
enable_prune 0
prune_next 0
prune_days 7
prune_viewed 7
prune_freq 1
=====================

Btw, I am using phpBB 3.0.10 through GoDaddy.

Here is an example of the type of forum structure I am trying to achieve through this import:

MAIN FORUM TITLE
---FORUM CATEGORY #1
---------->Forum #1
---------->Forum #2
---------->.
---------->.
---------->.
---------->Forum #99
---FORUM CATEGORY #2
---FORUM CATEGORY #3

THANKS!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Need help importing text file into MySQL through phpMyAdmin
April 30, 2012 03:53PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.