MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Sybase

Sybase to MySQL
Posted by: James Tow
Date: July 08, 2013 08:43AM

We have several flavors of databases where I work and they all talk to each other. Currently, we have a Sybase database talking to a MySQL database. MySQL is the destination. To make a long story short, I need to "re-seed" the data on MySQL with data from Sybase. Here is what I am going to do.

The table in question is using the MyISAM engine.

1. BCP data from Sybase to text file - it will be about 14GB+ as it has images in the table.

2. Create a temp staging table on MySQL on production.

3. Load the data into the staging table on MySQL in production.

4. Rename the current MySQL production table to TableName_Backup and rename the staging table to the production table name.

I am doing the rename option because an insert/update/delete with this table is near impossible with the BLOB data that is stored with it. I did some tests on development and it was taking more than 18 hours to run an update of just a few columns - excluding the BLOB columns. When I did the rename option on development, it took seconds to execute the SQL.

Thank you for your patience in reading my post so far.

My questions are as follows: Is this a valid way to accomplish the task of re-seeding data like this? Will there be any issues with the MyISAM engine doing the rename table method?

What advice or caution can you provide?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

James

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Sybase to MySQL
July 08, 2013 08:43AM
July 08, 2013 11:49AM
July 08, 2013 12:27PM
July 12, 2013 04:16AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.