MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Partitioning or Not Partitioning?
Posted by: Manuel Gentili
Date: November 20, 2014 04:53AM

> Is that 50 rows INSERTed per second across all tables? Or 50 per second per client?

I must insert 25 record per second per client, 50 rows had a maximum value in witch I consider some mesurament that are not very important (yesterday I tried to use a different table for every client, so every client have a identical table for data storage, it seems to found good)

> If you are pruning 'old' data, that is a good reason for using PARTITIONing. If the table(s) were PARTITION BY RANGE with each partition being one month, then DROP PARTITION would very efficiently do the pruning.

Yes, now I use this solution:
I need 2 kind of data:
1 - real time value, that I use to see in a display (for example 25 rows per second that correspond to 25 different value like temperature, voltage, ampere ecc..., so 1500 value per minute)
2 - historical value, that depend from the point 1. For example, I decide to take a data every 60 second, so I need to do a middle value for every kind of data, do I will insert 25 rows every 60 second that are the 25 middle value of the 25 different kind of data.
So I decided to use 2 table for every client: one for the point 1, that is like a RAM memory, in witch I insert data for 60 second and than I delete all data and restart for other 60 second and so on (so I have a small table with max 1500 rows)
and one with the historica data, that will storage 25 rows every minute, so I will have about 36000 recod for day. I hope that it'is clear for you.

> Once you have the summary data, do you need the "raw" data? That is, do you really need 3 million rows (500000+2500000)? Maybe you could store only one month's worth?

No, I need for example 25 rows per minute, I can talk with the compay to reduce to 25 rows per 2 or 3 minute if necessary, but the range is about 1-5 minutes

> Do you mean "average" (also called "mean")? Or do you mean "median"? Average is easily available in MySQL; median is best done by application code.

I mean AVERAGE

> Based on the numbers you gave, there is about 500GB of data to store on the disk. Does that agree with the numbers you have calculated?

I have not done the calculations, but I think that with this new post the calculation must be do again, and I am very happy to know the data quantity for one month or one year because I need to buy an hardware that it will able to do this

> If there are to be millions of rows in dati_rilevati, and if you need to fetch selected rows by the datetime field, note that it is missing any useful index for such.

Yes, I have two kind of information, like I explained before . One information in real time, that is produced by a select in the "real_time" table of every client, in witch I consider the last datetime, and one information witch is produced by some SELECT query that consider a single value (for example temperature) in a time period, for example between last month to today.

I hope that this information help you in your valutation, thank you for your help!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Partitioning or Not Partitioning?
November 20, 2014 04:53AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.