MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Database Design
Posted by: Phillip Ward
Date: May 29, 2015 05:18AM

How you arrange your data is a balance between two things:

(a) Storing the data, which is all about efficiency, consistency and integrity, and
(b) Using the data once you've stored it.

There's no point coming up with the most space-efficient storage model ever, if it then takes three weeks to retrieve two rows out of it.

For instance I need to store if a stock is up for the day, so I have upDay and downDay, each has a tinyint to store a 1/0. Is it good practice to break it out into upDay/downDay or just have upDownDay as a bool?
Does the [same] record hold the "start" and "end" values for that stock on that day? If so, you might consider not storing the change at all, but calculating it as required [in a view] based on the underlying values in each row.

select start_value 
,      end_value 
,      end_value - start_value as increase 
from   table1 

I have inBase, inBuyZone, inSellZone all relate to where the stock is in the cycle, there will only be one that is true ...
That sounds like a single field that can have one of a number of values. How you define those values is another choice; personally, I'd go with the sledgehammer, "look-up" table, solution.

create table StockStates 
( id integer not null auto_increment
, name varchar( 40 ) 
, primary key ( id ) 
); 

insert into StockStates ( name ) 
values ( 'inBase' ) 
, ( 'inBuyZone' ) 
, ( 'inSellZone' ) ; 

create table stockTable6 
( ... 
, stockStateId integer not null 
, foreign key stockStateId references StockStates( id ) 

If you ever need to add a new state, it's a simple, "insert" statement (that could be done through your application).
You could use an Enum type, but adding a new value to one of those requires a change to the table structure, which would (should!) require a Database Administrator (i.e. you) to get involved. That could get tedious if you have a lot of these types of field.

Regards, Phill W.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
May 27, 2015 08:32PM
May 28, 2015 08:06PM
Re: Database Design
May 29, 2015 05:18AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.