MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: MySQL Encrypt / Decrypt datatype
Posted by: Phillip Ward
Date: February 10, 2016 07:00AM

That's the problem :( Boos wants it encrypted ...

This is what I call "A Technical Solution in Search of a Problem".

I can see no benefit in encrypting this data and, like you, some fairly major headaches that will directly ensue from doing so.

By all means prototype this approach, using a copy of the table, and then show your "Boss" just how slowly his H.R. reports (or whatever) are going to run with all this extra decryption processing.

Also, it means extra work for you because you're probably going to have write (and maintain) a View that incorporates this decryption processing on top of the raw data because other people are going to want to run reports that use this data using their favourite, off-the-shelf reporting tool that certainly won't be able to do the decryption by itself.

It's just introducing ongoing overhead and bloat and inefficiency (i.e. costing your Business money) for zero Business benefit and if your "Boss" doesn't understand a case made in those terms, then it's time to find yourself another job.

Regards, Phill W.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
February 09, 2016 01:42AM
Re: MySQL Encrypt / Decrypt datatype
February 10, 2016 07:00AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.