MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost'
Posted by: James Barwick
Date: January 21, 2005 09:28AM

A lot of you guys are saying: "I wanna put in 4.1.4"...go for it, but don't recommend it.
Couple things to remember:

1) Password Format ( OLD/NEW )
2) Server Version ( 4.1 )
3) Client Version ( 3.23 )

On Windows, you may wish to download the ODBC client. 3.51.xx...beware of the versions here. I found some of the later ones don't work properly (but that could just be me)..so...make sure you are on the latest ODBC driver (that supports the new password format)..if that doesn't work..try an older driver.

On Windows, you may want to run PHP. 4.3.9 ( I BELIEVE...PLEASE YELL AT ME IF I'M WRONG <wink> ) is compiled with MySQL 3.23 client. If you have found a version of PHP for windows with the 4.1 client..let me know...I REALLY REALLY don't want to compile that thing on windows myself.

If you are running 3.23 clients, you MUST use OLD passwords.

update user set password=old_password('mypassword') where user='root';
flush privileges;

If you use old passwords, then the old ODBC clients will work, and the PHP 4.3.9 Pre-Compiled Versions for Microsoft Winbloze will work.

Oh...and if you are using Apache2 and the PHP SAPI module for Apache2, then HEED THEIR WARNINGS IN THE DOCUMENTATION THAT SAY DO NOT NOT NOT USE IT IN PRODUCTION. I have found that this module kills the apache child process unexpected. So, on Winbloze, you will have to CGI your setup....Please download Apache1. I can't, I MUST use Apache2 features on my Windows stuff...so, my windows systems kindly get Apache2/PHP in CGI mode...alas...the pain....

Anyway...this isn't the place to talk about Apache and PHP...I got distracted because of the MySQL Client...SORRY!...

Key points...if you use MySQL 4.1.8...then get a 4.1.8 client. (Compiled into your PHP).
If you don't compile PHP, then do phpinfo() and get the MySQL client version...install that MySQL server version. Else...use 'old_passwords" as described above...

Too wordy now..I sign off....

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost'
January 21, 2005 09:28AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.