Re: Globalisation, UTF8 and characters with Accent.
Posted by: rekha sarith
Date: August 17, 2011 11:55PM

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your response. I *think* I have cornerd the porblem and found a solution.

I tried all combinations of encoding and collation on the DB. I had to change the collation at the Server, DB, Table & row level. Once I did it, I could insert the correct data when i copy-pasted it directly into the DB (via phpmyadmin). I have settled for "utf8-general-ci".

Now the data:
The data came in from an XML (which was ISO-8859-1 encoded). I was reading it via Perl and that was the main problem. It was messing up the characters. SO I tried using PHP and the same thing happened. I finally realised that the XML (though ISO-8859-1 encoded) was being read in using UTF-8 encoding. I had to then convert it from UTF-8 back to ISO-8859-1 and then inserted into the DB. I did it using the iconv() available for PHP and then inserted it into the DB. I have tried it for a small set of data on my local machine and it is working! Hope it works on the main server as well!

Thank you for the link. Will go through.

Regards,
R

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Globalisation, UTF8 and characters with Accent.
August 17, 2011 11:55PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.