MS-SQL Configuration Tips
Posted by: Eval User
Date: November 04, 2007 01:16PM

Follows are some tips that finally resoved an issue for which I could successfully connect to the MS-SQL server via MySQL Migration Toolkit during the connection test but for which the subsequent reverse engineering phase failed. Initially, the only way I could connect to the MS-SQL server was using 'localhost' [127.0.0.1] as the hostname and port 1434 which was configured by MS-SQL Server during installation as the 'listen' hostname and port. If I set the client computer name and port 1433, the connection test failed.

The resolution is to configure MS-SQL Server to enable the network and client configuration TCP/IP protocols via the 'SQL Server Configuration Manager' with the 'SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration' and 'SQL Native Client Configuration' child objects. The TCP/IP protocol must be enabled for both and each respective property configured (right-click TCP/IP for properties). Note the 'Protocol' and 'IP' tabs and configurations. After enabling the network and client TCP/IP protocols a test connection could be established using the computer name as the hostname and port 1433 *and* the reverse engineering phase successfully completed. I'm not sure if both network and client TCP/IP protocols must be enabled but as configured all worked for me.

SQL Server Configuration Manager configuration settings screen capture image
http://69.65.105.60/temp/mssql_config.gif

Additional Notes:

MS-SQL Server Mixed Mode (Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication) must be enabled to allow MySQL Migration Toolkit to establish a connection with a connection string.

SQL Server Management Studio > Object Explorer >
[Server instance] > right-click > properties >
Security > Server Authentication > Windows Authentication or SQL Server Authentication

Microsoft Access: note chapter 13 for the MySQL Migration Toolkit compiled HTML help file.

Preparing a Microsoft Access Database for Migration

1. Tools > Options > View [tab] > Show [section]
Check checkboxes: 'System objects' and 'Hidden objects'

2. Tools > Security > User and Group Permissions
Control-click Select MSysObjects, MSysQueries, and MSysRelationships (highlight all)
or perform individually and sequentially
Check the 'Administer' checkbox to configure each selected item
Click 'Apply' button

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MS-SQL Configuration Tips
November 04, 2007 01:16PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.