Database Design Help
Posted by: Jon Baker
Date: November 01, 2010 02:29AM

Hi everyone...

for my sins I worked as an Oracle DBA for 2 years, altho my role was mostly fixing 100,000+ lines of sql script written by previous peeps, unix admin type work, and Application migration from unix to windows..... I never actually got to do any "db admin" in the sense of creating and managing the actual databases.....

anyway, unfortunately during uni, I only passed my Schema Design/Database Design part cus I threatened to sue the university because the lecturer was never around to take lessons, which leads me to my next request...

I need to design a database for my homerun business, I need:

Customers & PAT Testing Results as a bare minimum. Ideally, an invoicing database to link in with these for dates of invoices sent, payments received/late etc would be ideal......

The creme de la creme would be an auto-generated letter/email that reminds either myself or my customers when its close to the re-test date for their appliances.

Im not a big business, work from home etc.. might be able to pay (beer/pizza) lol, for help.. or come to somekind of arrangements..

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated,

jon.baker@oakappliancetesting.co.uk

Thanks,

Liberator.

Customer DB: General contact info/ID etc.

Test Results: Each customer can have anywhere from 1 - 5000 test results, and each record has approx 11 results fields (various datatypes)..

My personal confusion comes in where by Each customer can be tested up to every 3 months, altho usually every 12 months...... so each Customer may have an annual table of up to 4000 results, each years test results needs to be kept for at least 6 years...

Wouldn't these just end up being like a massive flatfile (which I know is bad) for each time a customer gets tested?

Anyway, I hope my further explanation helps a little, please feel free to ask any questions about the info above..

Regards again,

Jon.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Database Design Help
November 01, 2010 02:29AM
November 02, 2010 09:47AM
November 30, 2010 02:42AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.