Some help with schema
Posted by: Sean Funk
Date: June 30, 2014 11:05AM

I'm looking to store several different bits of data in two separate tables. The data will be inserted by a Spring batch.

In one table, I'm store a bunch of data about a forum post. In the second table, I'm storing any images that were embedded in the post. Not every post has an image, and multiple posts might link to the same image, so my thinking was this:

In the main table, I would store all the post information, and in the postImage column, this would be a comma separated value (is that a good idea) of zero to many identifiers, that are then unique indexes to the blobs in the second table. Is this correct thinking or is it bad juju to have multiple identifiers in a single field? How would you handle arbitrary numbers of reference items for a given row, in that case?

I'm new to building schemas and I'm trying to read as much on the subject as possible - but I feel like I'm at a bit of a standstill until I can get some validation of my work thus far.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Some help with schema
June 30, 2014 11:05AM
June 30, 2014 11:57AM
July 05, 2014 12:53PM
August 23, 2014 12:28AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.