Re: 2 Unique FKs in single Table
Posted by: Manuel Maurer
Date: August 15, 2016 03:54AM

> Are those all the columns in those tables? It
> almost never makes sense to have a 1-column
> table.
No, there are several other columns in the tables. I just stripped it down to the necessary columns as some of them contain confidential information which I cannot post on the internet and I was too lazy to rename them all.

> 3 unique keys for a single table is almost always
> never useful. Can you get it down to 1, or
> _maybe_ 2?
You are referring to pcb_sensor? I read a lot about primary keys in the last days and stripped it down to this:

CREATE TABLE `pcb_sensor` (
`pcb_id` BIGINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
`sensor_id` BIGINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
`position` ENUM('S1', 'S2') NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`pcb_id`, `position`),
UNIQUE INDEX `sensor_id_UNIQUE` (`sensor_id` ASC)
)

> Is `sensor_pcb` a many:many mapping table? Or
> 'normalization'?
Normalization. I agree that it would require less keys if I add a sensor_id field in pcb, however, as I pointed out this table contains much more information and thus would violate 2NF.

> Forget about the FOREIGN KEYs until we straighten
> out the layout of the data.
As I said I design with MySQL Workbench. When I place the relationships the foreign keys are automatically generated.

Thanks for your help. For the moment I am not going to develop this model much further. This was more of a feasability study (and a bit of training for myself), probably this will be developed further by professional database designers (and most likely in Oracle instead of MySQL).

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: 2 Unique FKs in single Table
August 15, 2016 03:54AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.