MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL for Excel

Re: Excel vs MySQL
Posted by: Javier Treviño
Date: August 06, 2014 02:36PM

Hi Amit,
Thanks for writing in our forums!

Just given the fact that your data is growing at an average of 10K rows per month I would consider migrating to a DBMS and MySQL is an excellent choice.

I guess you are planning to continue using Excel as a front-end if you migrate your data to MySQL. You can enforce uniqueness in your data by using unique indexes. Bear in mind that you will get errors (thrown back by the MySQL server) anyway when trying to insert the duplicate data with any program you use.

With MySQL for Excel if I remember correctly, you may be able to insert the non-duplicate data anyway using the Edit MySQL Data feature, you may be able to use the Append Data feature as well, but it may rollback the append if any error is thrown back from the server.

I still think you need to move from Excel to a robust database given the amount of data you are storing, and my advice would be to play with MySQL for Excel to see if it will do what you need.

Best Regards.

====================================
Javier Treviño
MySQL on Windows Team

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
August 06, 2014 08:57AM
Re: Excel vs MySQL
August 06, 2014 02:36PM
August 23, 2014 12:11AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.